Please Support the Bible Translation Work of the Updated American Standard Version (UASV)
Edward D. Andrews (born May 13, 1966) has an Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice, Bachelor of Science in Religion, Masters of Art in Biblical Studies, and Masters of Divinity in Theology. He is the CEO and President of Christian Publishing House. He has authored over 180+ books on twenty-five different subject areas. In addition, Andrews is the Chief Translator of the Updated American Standard Version (UASV).
Encounter with the Bible
In 1984, Andrews was shown the Bible, as he had never been shown it before. However, because he was a survivor of an abusive childhood: distressed and depressed, sitting at his mother’s house one day, a woman came and spoke with her about the Bible. Furious, he sat there patiently and watched with evil in his eye. Once they were done talking, he asked if he could ask her some questions that pastors, ministers, and priests had never answered. She said yes. He pummeled her with a couple of dozen questions for two hours, such as “If God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving, why would he allow humans to suffer for thousands of years?” Amazingly, she gave me answers from her Bible; she spoke of the original OT Hebrew and NT Greek words, the Bible background, and the historical setting, and he was simply amazed. Yes, she was a Jehovah’s Witness.
Regardless of what you may have heard or read, the Witnesses are a Bible people. Andrews was obsessed with the Bible and why they read differently. Not just the theological differences (John 1:1, 8:58; Acts 20:28; Rom. 9:5; Titus 2:13, etc.) between the Witnesses’ New World Translation rather than the others but between the interpretive translations (TEV, NIV, NLT, CEV, etc.) and the literal translations (ASV, RSV, NASB, ESV, LEB, CSB). Andrews would spend years studying (2:00 AM—9:00 AM) seven days a week. In those years, he also taught himself biblical Hebrew, Greek, New Testament, and Old Testament textual criticism, Bible translation process, and philosophy. He studied some 3,000 books. He studied apologetics, hermeneutics, and many other subject matters. Furthermore, he had become an apologist for the Bible, the faith, and God himself. During the ten years of studying Hebrew and Greek, he translated Bible verses from the original languages. This would lead to him walking away from the Jehovah’s Witnesses.
In 2005, he dreamed of being an author. The big publishing houses rejected him because he had no higher education in any sort of religious studies, so he decided to start a book publishing company. It was in 2005-2006 that Christian Publishing House was in his mind. Shortly after he published a few of his books, he began publishing other books by Bible scholars. In 2005, he decided that the 1901 American Standard Version needed to be updated. In 2007, he decided to get the official degrees that went with his self-taught education. In 2009, he resumed his education, but it was no longer in the direction of criminal law.
- Zane State 1991-1993 Associate (Criminal Justice)
- Liberty University 2006-2011 Bachelor (Religion); MDiv (Theology)
- Tennessee Temple University 2011-2013 MA (Biblical Studies)
- Zondervan Biblical Greek Award 2011 – 2013
- Zondervan Biblical Hebrew Award 2011 – 2013
Andrews is a noted author, researcher, and blogger. His area of unique expertise is Old & New Testament textual studies, Bible translation philosophy and differences, and apologetics and evangelism. Andrews has been deeply involved and working in these areas since 1986, especially so since 1996. Andrews has recently, in the last few years, since 2018, been working in the field of paleography and papyrology and has written several books on New Testament Textual Studies, one on paleography and papyrology.
Andrews has examined many of the 5,000 Oxyrhynchus papyri collections. He has also studied all the early New Testament papyri and many of the later majuscule manuscripts. Andrews has spent most of his life researching and studying the Bible, founding Christian Publishing House for conservative Christian authors, authoring 180+ books, and writing hundreds of blog articles for the Christian Publishing House Blog and the UASV Blog. Andrews’ mindset is from an apologetic and evangelistic outlook, regardless of the material he is studying or the book he is writing. He has written 10+ books on Christian apologetics and evangelism and dozens of blog articles.
UPDATED AMERICAN STANDARD VERSION (UASV) 2005 – 2022
Andrews as the Chief Translator had the primary purpose to give the Bible readers what God said by way of his human authors, not what a translator thinks God meant in its place. His primary goal is to be accurate and faithful to the original text. The meaning of a word is the responsibility of the interpreter (i.e., reader), not the translator.
Translating God’s Word from Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek original languages into English is a task unlike any other and should never be taken lightly. It carries with it the heaviest responsibility: the translator renders God’s thoughts into a modern language. The Updated American Standard Version (UASV) is a literal translation. What does that mean?
A literal translation is certainly more than a word-for-word rendering of the original language of Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. The corresponding English words need to be brought over according to English grammar and syntax, but the translation at the same time must be faithful to the original word or as much as possible, for the author may have used word order to emphasize or convey some meaning. In most cases, the translator simply renders the original-language word with the same corresponding English term each time it occurs. The translator has used his good judgment to select words in the English translation from the lexicon within the context of the original-language text. The translator remains faithful to this literal translation philosophy unless it has been determined that the rendering will be misunderstood or misinterpreted. The translator is not tasked with making the text easy to read but rather to make it as accurately faithful to the original as possible.
Removing the Outdated
- Passages with the Old English “thee’s” and “thou’s” etc. have been replaced with modern English.
- Many words and phrases that were extremely ambiguous or easily misunderstood since the 1901 ASV have been updated according to the best lexicons.
- Verses with difficult word order or vocabulary have been translated into correct English grammar and syntax, for easier reading. However, if the word order of the original conveyed meaning, it was kept.
- The last 110+ years have seen the discovery of far more manuscripts, especially the papyri, with many manuscripts dating within 100 years of the originals.
- While making more accurate translation choices, we have stayed true to the literal translation philosophy of the ASV, while other literal translations abandon the philosophy far too often.
- The translator seeks to render the Scriptures accurately without losing what the Bible author penned by changing what the author wrote, by distorting or embellishing through imposing what the translator believes the author meant into the original text.
- Accuracy in Bible translation is being faithful to what the original author wrote (the words that he used), as opposed to going beyond into the meaning, trying to determine what the author meant by his words. The latter is the reader’s job.
- The translator uses the most reliable, accurate critical texts (e.g., WH, NA, UBS, BHS) and the original language texts, versions, and other sources that will help him determine the original reading.
Why the Need for Updated Translations?
- New manuscript discoveries
- Changes in the language
- A better understanding of the original languages
- Improved insight into Bible translation
Why Andrews Did Not Capitalize Personal Pronouns Referring to God
Choosing to capitalize personal pronouns in Scripture creates unnecessary difficulties at times. Note what the Pharisees say when speaking to Jesus (in the NASB), “We wish to see a sign from You.” Thus, the meaning here would be that the Pharisees regarded Jesus as a deity when that is not the case. Some feel that it is honoring God to capitalize the personal pronouns. However, God has honor and authority purely because he is God. The Scriptures are filled with ways we are actually called to honor and worship God; we do not need to create others to show our reverence for God. We are not dishonoring God if personal pronouns referring to him are not capitalized. For those that decide to capitalize all personal pronouns referring to God, it is simply a matter of preference or style, not because the Scriptures obligate them to do so. Suppose we want to show respect, reverence, honor, and praise to God. In that case, it isn’t through capitalizing personal pronouns that refer to him, but rather by personal Bible study, obedience to the Word of God, our service, church attendance, and carrying out the great commission to make disciples. (Matt. 24:14; 28:19-20; Acts 1:8) When we look at the ancient manuscripts, there is no effort made to differentiate the personal pronouns that refer to God. Sir Frederic Kenyon, in his book Textual Criticism of the New Testament, says, “Capital letters, which are occasionally used in business documents to mark the beginning of a clause, do not occur in literary papyri . . .” Some might not even be aware that the translators of the highly valued King James Version always capitalized personal pronouns referring to God. It is a bit ironic that those translations that capitalize the personal pronouns referring to God out of reverence and respect remove the Father’s personal name some 7,000 times in the Old Testament.
 Frederic G. Kenyon, Handbook to the Textual Criticism of the New Testament (London; New York: Macmillan and Co., 1901), 22.
NEW DIRECTION IN LIFE
In May 2017, he met the love of his life on Facebook, Pamela Navarrete. They talked for hours upon hours. In January 2018, He moved to Chile, South America. They were married on April 12th, 2018. He has been living and working in Chile ever since. His life with Pamela is light-years culturally, with a language barrier, and 5,131 miles (ca. 8,258 km) from his old life. They studied the Bible and applied the principles they learned from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Paul’s new person. Andrews minored in psychology or Christian counseling in all four of his degrees. Many of Andrews’ life experience was what resulted in the books he wrote. He has written over 180 books covering twenty-five different genres.
(1) Publish books that are the deeper things of God’s Word but are easy to understand. (2) Educate the churchgoer about their Bible. (3) Educate every Christian on how they can effectively defend and share God’s Word. (4) Help Christians to walk humbly with their God. (5) Help with the Battle for the Christian mind, giving his readers the will to learn how to examine themselves as to spiritual growth, take an in-depth look at our sinful nature and human imperfection, as well as how they can become sound in mind, as they take on the mind of Christ more fully. (6) Help our youth (12-25) survive their coming-of-age years with their spirituality intact.
CHRISTIAN LIVING-YOUNG PEOPLE-PRAYER LIFE
Andrews has authored dozens of books for inspiration, encouragement, spiritual growth, prayer, personal growth, and more. He has authored multiple books that are designed to help the teen who feels like an outsider, helping the youth with books and over 50 blog articles covering Coming-of-Age issues for the youth (12-25).
- 2022 – THE HOLY BIBLE: Updated American Standard Version (UASV), Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586275
- 2022 – BIBLE STUDY TOOL: Appendices to the Updated American Standard Version, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586602
- 2020 – FROM SPOKEN WORDS TO SACRED TEXTS: Introduction-Intermediate New Testament Textual Studies, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586985
- 2019 – THE READING CULTURE OF EARLY CHRISTIANITY: The Production, Publication, Circulation, and Use of Books in the Early Christian Church, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586848
- 2019 – 400,000+ SCRIBAL ERRORS IN THE GREEK NEW TESTAMENT MANUSCRIPTS: What Assurance Do We Have that We Can Trust the Bible?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586923
- 2020 – THE P52 PROJECT: Is P52 Really the Earliest Greek New Testament Manuscript?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586107
- 2019 – INTRODUCTION TO THE TEXT OF THE NEW TESTAMENT: From The Authors and Scribe to the Modern Critical Text, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586787
- 2019 – MISREPRESENTING JESUS: Debunking Bart D. Ehrman’s “Misquoting Jesus” 4th Edition, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586954
- 2022 – THE ORIGINAL TEXT OF THE NEW TESTAMENT: Ascertaining the Original Words of the Original Greek New Testament Manuscripts, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 979-8838283030
- 2016 – THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO BIBLE TRANSLATION: Bible Translation Choices and Translation Principles, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-0692728710
- 2018 – THE KING JAMES BIBLE: Do You Know the King James Version?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757990
- 2019 – THE KING JAMES BIBLE: Why Have Modern Bible Translations Removed Many Verses That Are In the King James Version?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586961
- 2020 – INERRANCY OF SCRIPTURE: How Can We Believe Inerrancy of Scripture In the Originals When We Don’t Have the Originals?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586121
- 2020 – THE NEW TESTAMENT DOCUMENTS: Can They Be Trusted?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586091
- 2018 – CALVINISM VS. ARMINIANISM: The Bible Answers, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586992
- 2016 – INTERPRETING THE BIBLE: Introduction to Biblical Hermeneutics, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757075
- 2017 – HOW TO STUDY YOUR BIBLE: Rightly Handling the Word of God, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757624
- 2022 – THE LETTER OF JAMES: An Apologetic and Background Exposition of the Holy Scriptures (CPH New Testament Commentary), Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586596
- 2022 – Thomas F. Marshal; Edward D. Andrews, PAUL’S LETTER TO THE PHILIPPIANS: An Apologetic and Background Exposition of the Holy Scriptures, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586589
- 2020 – PAUL AND LUKE ON TRIAL: Dating Events Between 33 and 49 A.D., Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586077
- 2021 – THE GNOSTIC JESUS: The Jesus of Second Century Gnosticism, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 979-8517726339
- 2020 – THE EPISTLE TO THE HEBREWS: Who Wrote the Book of Hebrews?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586749
- 2020 – BIBLE DIFFICULTIES: How to Approach Difficulties In the Bible, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 979-8611089118
- 2022 – THE QUEST FOR THE HISTORICAL JESUS: Are Doubts About Jesus Justified?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 979-8849887333
- 2016 – THE CHRISTIAN APOLOGIST: Always Being Prepared to Make a Defense, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757273
- 2018 – REVIEWING 2013 New World Translation of Jehovah’s Witnesses: Examining the History of the Watchtower Translation and the Latest Revision, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757785
- 2022 – JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES 101: How Can You Share Your Faith When the Jehovah’s Witnesses Come Knocking?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 979-8830002073
- 2017 – INVESTIGATING JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES: Why 1914 Is Important to Jehovah’s Witnesses, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757518
- 2019 – JESUS CHRIST: The Great Teacher, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586831
- 2018 – THE TEACHER THE APOSTLE PAUL: What Made the Apostle Paul’s Teaching, Preaching, Evangelism, and Apologetics Outstanding Effective?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586039
- 2017 – THE EVANGELISM HANDBOOK: How All Christians Can Effectively Share God’s Word in Their Community, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757389
- 2017 – CONVERSATIONAL EVANGELISM: Defending the Faith, Reasoning from the Scriptures, Explaining and Proving, Instructing in Sound Doctrine, and Overturning False Reasoning, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757372
- 2018 – REASONING WITH THE WORLD’S VARIOUS RELIGIONS: Examining and Evangelizing Other Faiths, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757815
- 2022 – Edward D. Andrews; J. B. Lightfoot; Frederic G. Kenyon, THE REVISIONS OF THE ENGLISH HOLY BIBLE: Misunderstandings and Misconceptions about the English Bible Translations, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 979-8352124185
- 2021 – THE 1946 PROJECT: The Supposed Mistranslation of “Homosexual” In 1 Corinthians 6:9, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586619
- 2019 – FIRST TIMOTHY 2:12: What Does the Bible Really Say About Women Pastors/Preachers?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586947
- 2021 – THE REVELATION OF DANIEL CHAPTERS 11-12: The Time of the End and Beyond, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586626
- 2022 – GOT BIBLE QUESTIONS: Scriptures Often Misunderstood, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 979-8358900486
- 2018 – REASONABLE FAITH: Saving Those Who Doubt, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757914
- 2017 – FEARLESS: Be Courageous and Strong Through Your Faith In These Last Days, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757693
- 2017 – IS THE QURAN THE WORD OF GOD?: Is Islam the One True Faith?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757495
- 2017 – DEFENDING OLD TESTAMENT AUTHORSHIP: The Word of God Is Authentic and True, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757655
- 2017 – Edward Andrews; F. David Farnell, BIBLICAL CRITICISM: What are Some Outstanding Weaknesses of Modern Historical Criticism?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757709
- 2019 – MOSAIC AUTHORSHIP CONTROVERSY: Who Really Wrote the First Five Books of the Bible?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586794
- 2019 – THE CREATION DAYS OF GENESIS: Were the Creation Days Literally 24 Hours Long?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586879
- 2021 – THE HOLY SPIRIT: All Who Are Led by the Spirit of God Are Sons of God, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586176
- 2018 – WHAT WILL HAPPEN If YOU DIE?: Should You Be Afraid of Death or of People Who Have Died? , Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757839
- 2019 – MIRACLES: What Does the Bible Really Teach?, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586862
- 2017 – THE POWERFUL WEAPON OF PRAYER: A Healthy Prayer Life, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757419
- 2017 – Edward Andrews; Heather Freeman, THIRTEEN REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD KEEP LIVING: When Hope and Love Vanish, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757471
- 2018 – 40 DAYS DEVOTIONAL FOR YOUTHS: Coming-of-Age In Christ, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757594
- 2017 – THE OUTSIDER: Coming-of-Age In This Moment, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757600
- 2016 – HOMOSEXUALITY—THE BIBLE AND THE CHRISTIAN: Basic Bible Doctrines of the Christian Faith, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-0692702345
- 2015 – EVIDENCE THAT YOU ARE TRULY CHRISTIAN: Keep Testing Yourselves to See If You Are In the Faith? Keep Examining Yourselves, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-0692562307
- 2020 – WALK HUMBLY WITH YOUR GOD: Putting God’s Purpose First in Your Life, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586695
- 2016 – THE BATTLE FOR THE CHRISTIAN MIND: Be Transformed by the Renewal of Your Mind, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757266
- 2019 – ADULTERY: The Biblical Guide to Avoid the Pitfalls of Sexual Immorality, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586800
- 2020 – THE BIBLICAL MARRIAGE: Biblical Counsel that Will Strengthen a Strong Marriage and Save a Failing Marriage, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1949586053
- 2017 – TURN OLD HABITS INTO NEW HABITS: Why and How the Bible Makes a Difference, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757730
- 2017 – YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE: Why and How Your Christian Life Makes a Difference, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757747
- 2018 – LET GOD USE YOU TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS: GOD Will Instruct You and Teach You In the Way You Should Go, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757860
- 2018 – THE POWER OF GOD: The Word That Will Change Your Life Today, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757891
- 2016 – FOR AS I THINK IN MY HEART SO I AM: Combining Biblical Counseling with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757228
- 2020 – APPLYING GOD’S WORD MORE FULLY: The Secret of a Successful Christian Life, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757211
- 2016 – PUT OFF THE OLD PERSON: Put On the New Person, Cambridge, Christian Publishing House ISBN 978-1945757181