Please Support the Bible Translation Work of the Updated American Standard Version (UASV)
|Name||P. Oxy. 1078|
|Text||Hebrews 9 †|
|Found||Egypt, Lord Crawford|
|Now at||Cambridge University|
|Cite||B. P. Grenfell & A. S. Hunt, Oxyrhynchus Papyri VIII, (London, 1911), pp. 11-13|
|Size||14.2 x 8.4 cm|
Papyrus 17 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), signed by 17, is an early copy of the New Testament in Greek. It is a papyrus manuscript of the Epistle to the Hebrews, but only contains verses 9:12-19. The manuscript has been paleographically assigned to the middle of the third century (c. 250 C.E.).
The leaf is in fragmentary condition (originally 19 by 25 cm). The text fills in where Codex Vaticanus is vacant (from Hebrews 9:14).
The Nomina Sacra are used throughout. The scribe used marks for punctuation between verses 12 and 13, and between 15 and 16. It has no iotacistic errors.
Note: * Iotacism or itacism is the process of vowel shift by which a number of vowels and diphthongs converged towards the pronunciation in post-classical Greek and Modern Greek. The term “iotacism” refers to the letter iota, the original sign for, with which these vowels came to merge.
The Greek text of this codex is representative of the Alexandrian text-type. Aland placed it in Category II.
It was discovered by Lord Crawford in Egypt. The text was edited in 1911 by Grenfell and Hunt.
Currently housed at the Cambridge University Library (Add. 5893) in Cambridge.
Attribution: This article incorporates some text from the public domain: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Edward D. Andrews
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 97. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Philip W. Comfort, The Text of the Earlies of New Testament Greek Manuscripts (2001), p. 101.
- Frederic G. Kenyon, “Handbook to the Textual Criticism of the New Testament”, London2, 1912, p. 44.
- B. P., Grenfell; Hunt, A. S. (1898). Oxyrhynchus Papyri VIII. London. pp. 11–13.
- “Handschriftenliste”. Münster: Institute for New Testament Textual Research. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
SCROLL THROUGH DIFFERENT CATEGORIES BELOW
BIBLE TRANSLATION AND TEXTUAL CRITICISM
BIBLICAL STUDIES / INTERPRETATION
CHRISTIAN APOLOGETIC EVANGELISM
CHURCH HEALTH, GROWTH, AND HISTORY