Please Support the Bible Translation Work of the Updated American Standard Version (UASV)
Millions of individuals have either read or been told the story of the creation of the universe as it is written in the Bible. This ancient text, which dates back over 3,500 years, starts with the famous line “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” Despite this widespread awareness, not many people are aware of the fact that religious leaders, including those who identify as creationists and fundamentalists, have distorted the biblical account of creation and made it into something that differs from what is actually written in the scripture. These misinterpretations go against scientific evidence and, despite not being found in the Bible, have caused some individuals to view the biblical account as merely a legendary tale.
However, the true story of creation according to the Bible has been largely ignored. This is unfortunate because the Bible actually provides a coherent and credible explanation for the origin of the universe that aligns with scientific findings. In fact, you might be pleasantly surprised by the real, untold story of creation as portrayed in the Bible.
The Supreme Being Behind Creation
The biblical account of creation revolves around the concept of a Supreme Being, also known as Almighty God, who created everything in existence. Who is this deity and what is their nature? The Bible provides insights into a God who is quite distinct from the deities portrayed in popular culture and traditional religion. He is the originator of all things, yet many individuals have limited understanding of who he is.
- God is a personal entity with individual thoughts, emotions, and objectives, not simply an abstract force lacking in personality that exists aimlessly throughout the universe.
- God possesses infinite power and knowledge, which explains the intricate design seen in all of creation, particularly in living beings.
- God created all matter in the physical world, which means he cannot be made of physical elements that he himself created. Rather, he exists as a spiritual or non-physical entity.
- God’s existence is not bound by time; he has always existed and will continue to exist without a beginning or end. Thus, he was not created by anyone.
- God has a specific name that is mentioned thousands of times in the Bible, which is Jehovah.
- Jehovah God loves and cares for humanity.
The Duration of God’s Creation of the Universe
The Bible states that God created “the heavens and the earth,” however, it does not specify the length of time involved in this process or the methods used. There is a popular belief among creationists that God created the universe in six literal 24-hour days, but this idea is widely discredited by scientists and is based on a misinterpretation of the biblical account. So what exactly does the Bible say about this topic?
- The Bible does not support the notion of creationists and fundamentalists who claim that the creative days were 24 hours each.
- The term “day” in the Bible can refer to various periods of time, some of which are unspecified in length. The account of creation in the book of Genesis is one such example.
- According to the biblical account, each of the six creative days could have lasted for thousands of years.
- The universe, including an uninhabitable Earth, had already been created before the first creative day began.
- The six creative days were long periods during which Jehovah God prepared the Earth for human habitation.
- The biblical account of creation does not contradict scientific findings about the age of the universe.
Did God Use Evolution to Create Life?
Many individuals who do not believe in the Bible believe in the theory of evolution, which states that living things evolved from inanimate chemicals through natural processes, eventually leading to the development of complex species, including humans, from a single, self-replicating organism.
Some people who accept the Bible as the word of God also embrace the theory of evolution and believe that God initiated life on Earth but then merely observed and possibly guided the evolution process. However, this belief is not supported by the Bible.
- The Bible states that Jehovah God created all the basic types of plants and animals, as well as the first man and woman, who were capable of self-awareness, love, wisdom, and justice.
- The types of plants and animals created by God have undergone changes and produced variations within the types. In many cases, the resulting life forms are significantly different from each other.
- The biblical account of creation does not contradict the scientific observation that variations occur within a type.
The Perception of the Creator Through Creation
In the mid-1800s, British biologist Alfred Russel Wallace, who was in agreement with Charles Darwin on the theory of evolution by natural selection, is said to have stated: “For those who have eyes to see and minds accustomed to reflect, in the minutest cells, in the blood, in the whole earth, and throughout the stellar universe…, there is intelligent and conscious direction; in a word, there is Mind.”
Long before Wallace, the Bible already stated: “For [God’s] invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship.” (Romans 1:20) From time to time, it is worth taking a moment to reflect on the incredible complexities in nature, from a single blade of grass to the countless celestial bodies. Through examining creation, one can gain insight into the Creator.
You may ask, “If there is a loving God who created all things, why does he allow suffering? Has he abandoned his earthly creation? What does the future hold?” The Bible holds many other untold stories, truths that have been obscured by human ideas and religious agendas and are hidden from most people. The publishers of this magazine, Jehovah’s Witnesses, would be happy to assist you in examining pure biblical truth and learning more about the Creator and the future of his human creation.
The Creation Timeline
The material heavens and earth are created. – Genesis 1:1
The earth is formless, desolate, and dark. – Genesis 1:2
Diffused light penetrates the earth’s atmosphere, making the difference between night and day noticeable. – Genesis 1:3-5
The earth is covered with water and a dense mantle of vapor. The two elements are separated, creating a space between the watery surface and the vapor canopy. This space is referred to as “an expanse between the waters” and is called “Heaven.” – Genesis 1:6-8
Surface water subsides and dry land appears. The atmosphere clears up to allow more sunlight to reach the ground. Some vegetation begins to grow, with new species appearing during the third and subsequent creative days. – Genesis 1:9-13
The sun and moon become visible from the earth’s surface. – Genesis 1:14-19
God creates underwater creatures and flying creatures in large numbers, with the ability to reproduce within their types. – Genesis 1:20-23
Land animals are created, both big and small. The sixth day culminates with the creation of the first human couple, a masterpiece of God’s physical creation. – Genesis 1:24-31
It is important to note that the Bible does not support the notion of creationists and fundamentalists who claim that the creative days were 24 hours each. The biblical account of creation does not conflict with the scientific observation that variations occur within a type.
Leave a Reply